Alabama Coalition for Immigrant Justice
WHO WE ARE
Our Goal, Our Vision, Our Work
The Alabama Coalition for Immigrant Justice is a grassroots, statewide network of individuals and organizations that works to advance and defend the rights of immigrants in Alabama. Our coalition consists of six non-profit organizations, and hundreds of individual members.
Our coalition is leading our state to a more equitable and just multi-ethnic, multi-lingual future – building a better Alabama for everyone, from the ground up.
We seek to do this in the following ways:
- Developing grassroots immigrant leadership;
- Building transformative alliances with African American communities, people of faith, LGBTQ movements, and organized labor;
- Organizing for comprehensive immigration reform and stopping family separation through deportation;
- Encouraging civic participation and voter engagement;
- Transforming Alabama county by county – building alliances and accountability with elected officials, police, service providers and businesses;
- Advocating for just policies on local, state, and national levels.
Join Us, Help Make The Change
Roadmap to Freedom, and the ACIJ is a proud long-time member of the Fair Immigration Reform Movement (FIRM), a national network of immigrant rights advocates. We have worked tirelessly to pursue comprehensive immigration reform that provides a road to citizenship for millions of immigrants who have lived in the U.S. for decades.
As we have seen in Alabama, the ongoing pandemic has heightened the urgency to protect undocumented immigrants who are facing unprecedented financial and health crises. Many of us are working essential jobs that keep our country running but have been left out of federal and state relief.
The Roadmap to Freedom Resolution was introduced on January 27, 2021, by Rep. Pramila Jayapal and other members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Congressional Black Caucus and Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, in collaboration with the FIRM network.
US Citizenship Act to 2021, is in alignment with the Roadmap to Freedom, we support the U.S. Citizenship Act of 2021 that President Biden sent to Congress on Day 1 of his presidency. Here are just a few of the critical measures included:
- An 8-year road to citizenship for undocumented immigrants
- Immediate eligibility for permanent residency for DACA and TPS holders and agricultural workers.
- Eliminates discrimination against LGBTQIA+ families in family-based immigration
- Prohibits travel bans based on religious discrimination
- Funds organizations that offer English-language learning and assistance with naturalization
We also applaud the executive orders enacted on January 20. These orders are a first step toward healing the widespread harm that immigrants and refugees faced over the last four years:
- Revoking the Muslim and African bans
- Reversing the efforts to exclude undocumented immigrants from the census count
- Direction to DHS to take all steps necessary to preserve DACA.
- Ending the national emergency declaration that diverted federal funds toward construction of a U.S.-Mexico border wall
- Issuing a 100-day moratorium on deportations (which has been temporarily blocked)
Volunteer, or Become a Member
There are many ways you can help us strengthen the statewide movement for immigrant justice. Click the links below it will take you directly to our website, for more information, to volunteer, join the organization as a member, and you can always donate. We want you to join us!