All neighborhoods must take a stand against scams. If you see something say something, getting the word out to a neighbor or at your next Garden Club or Community Meeting is very important. Scam's come in all shapes and sizes you can imagine, and once they succeed you are placed on a mooch list that is available and sold to all scammers. They got you once they will try, try again to get you a second time. The Green Dot Scam is back this year for more victims. Do your research, look online and make sure you're going to a reputable source. Be thorough in your
investigation checking with your local Better Business Bureau.
The results may surprise you. Referred by a major alarm company, a local company will build a cage for your existing A/C unit, but later will remove the unit before the cage is installed or removal of your burglar bars to be sandblasted and repaired in their shop to be reinstalled in 4 days, never to be seen again. Just driving around, you'll see signs like ADT which is a very well known name, others like APX and VIVINT you can buy or get signs for free without purchasing an alarm. They may have different numbers, but they all promise the same thing, that they are less expensive to make your life better.
Five of my neighbors have ADT signs in their yard, and have no alarm system of any kind. The only way to purchase signs are from an alarm company. Scams are on the rise. Check these links they may be helpful. Repair Bad Credit, Computer Repair Undercover Investigation, Driveway Paving, Pool Construction Scam, Computer Virus Scam and Home Repair Scam Promises to cost less. If it sound to good to be true, it usually is. Basically playing off of a person's needs and fears. So beware they'er looking for you.
Need to hire a contractor for that home improvement project. Asking these questions will allow you to gain a better understanding of the professionalism and craftsmanship of the contractor you'er thinking about hiring. These questions can also help ensure that your assets are protected and the work will be completed to your standards.
What should I do first?
- Take your time, there is no need to rush.Keep it local.
- Company's from out of town are here today, gone tomorrow.
Approach the company.
- Are you a licensed contractor in the state or city where the work will be completed can help ensure that the contractor has been trained in the proper practices and regulations specific to his or her specialty.
To ensure that you'er working with a reputable professional.
- Look at their history with the Better Business Bureau and their local Home Builders Association. Sign a contract and do not pay until the work is complete.
Do they belong to any professional organizations?
- A contractor who belong to the Home Builders Association of Metropolitan Mobile lends him or her to better referrals and better business ethics.
- Call the references to inquire of the quality and timely manner of their work.
Check for contractor's insurance.
- Ask the contractor for certificates of insurance and check to make sure the policies are current.
Check for contractor's bond.
- Bonding protects the consumer if the contractor fails to complete a job, doesn't pay for permits, fails to meet other financial obligations, such as paying for supplies, subcontractors or covering damage that workers cause to your property the contractor is liable.
Ask to see their portfolio.
- To see the proven quality of their workmanship with materials they are using or will be using on your home.
Last but least drive buy your contractor home, if your contractors home projects are not installed correctly. What makes you think your's will-be.The list below should be helpful...
- Is there a sign in the contractors yard advertising his or her contracting business and the house has poor curve appeal.
- The contractors home need to be painted or power-washed.
- The contractors lawn is not being maintained, cut or edged.
- The contractors home project's are not completed, such as.
- Roof, shingles haven't been completely installed.
- Yard, cluttered with contracting equipment or excess materials from previous jobs.
- Privacy Fence, brick wall was not layed straight or wood fence was not install correctly.
FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE IC3
The IC3 accepts online Internet crime complaints from either the actual victim or from a third party to the complainant. We can best process your complaint if we receive accurate and complete information from you. Therefore, we request you provide the following information when filing a complaint:
- Victim's name, address, telephone, and email
- Financial transaction information (e.g., account information, transaction date and amount, who received the money)
- Subject's name, address, telephone, email, website, and IP address
- Specific details on how you were victimized
- Email header(s)
- Any other relevant information you believe is necessary to support your complaint
TUNE IN TO TV5 SCAM BUSTERS EVERY WEDNESDAY AT 6PM AND 10PM
Scam Buster: Wendy's Hack And How To Proceed July 13, 2016
Scam Buster: Scammers Use Enticing/Scary Words To Get To Open Emails July 6, 2016
Scam Buster: Jury Duty Scam Popping Up Along Gulf Coast Again June 30, 2016
Scam Buster: Software Update Scam June 22, 2016
Scam Buster: Fool Me Once? They'll Call Again June 15, 2016
Scam Buster: Overly Aggressive Salesmen June 8, 2016
Scam Buster: Can you Tell A Fake Check From A Real One? June 1, 2016
Scam Buster: Computer Tech Imposters May 18, 2016
Scam Buster: Facebook Imposters May 18, 2016
Scam Buster: Fake Reviews Online May 11, 2016
Scam Buster: Woman Gets 10 Scam Calls A Day April 20, 2016
Scam Buster: Protecting Your Identity April 13, 2016
Scam Buster: Fake Check To Pay For Craigslist Item April 6, 2016
Scam Buster: Caller ID Spoofing March 30, 2016
Scam Buster: New Twist On Old Tax Scam March 26, 2016
Scam Buster: How Thieves Can Run Your Credit March 17, 2016
Scam Buster: Woman's Identity Stolen Three Times March 16, 2016
Scam Buster: I've Been Scammed! What Do I Do Now? March 9, 2016
Scam Buster: Unemployment Fraud March 4, 2016
Scam Buster: Why Scammers Love Green Dot Cards March 3, 2016
Scam Buster: Fake Federal Grants March 2, 2016
Scam Buster: Scammers Clam To Be With Wind Creek Casino February 28, 2016
Scam Buster: News 5 ScamBuster's Alert: New Twist To Power Bill Scam February 11, 2016
Scam Buster: Scams To Look Out For In 2016 February 7, 2016
Scam Buster: Rent Scams Making A Comeback February 3, 2016